If you have installed the driver of your video card hardware acceleration is enabled by default. You may be able to manually disable but to play as older games.
When the hardware acceleration is enabled, does not calculate the CPU of the PC to display the games but the processor of the graphics card (GPU).
- What is a GPU?
- What is a CPU?
active hardware acceleration
If you have installed the latest driver of your video card hardware acceleration is activated automatically. If you can adjust all possible resolutions in Windows, the driver is usually installed correctly. You can do it but also consider this:
- Open the Device Manager.
- Click under the category video card, double-click the entry of your graphics card. Here is the exact name of your graphics card should be.
- In the General tab you can see below in device status, if there are problems.
- If you know that the hardware acceleration is turned off, otherwise you can so your graphics driver update.
Disable hardware acceleration
Old games like Icewind Dale 2 work sometimes with disabled hardware acceleration. Then you can disable 7 and 8 hardware acceleration in Windows. In Windows 10, we could not find any appropriate function.
- Open the Start menu and type in: Change display settings.
- Click on the same search results. You get to the screen where you can change the resolution.
- Click on the blue lettering Advanced Settings.
- In the new window you click the Change Settings Tab troubleshooting on the button.
Note: If the button is grayed out for you, the installed drivers of your graphics card does not support the deactivation.
Windows: Here you can disable hardware acceleration by regulators.
- In the new window you can rely on no hardware acceleration of maximum with the regulator.
Alternatively, you can the Catalyst Control Center open (for AMD Radeon graphics cards) or Nvidia GeForce Experience (for Nvidia graphics cards), use it to change the graphics settings. You could open these tools bottom over an icon in the system tray right. The Nvidia tool has a green usually, the AMD tool a red icon.
You can also top Method try again in Safe Mode to perform. Under certain circumstances, but you can get this error message indicating that the new settings could not be saved in the registry:
- Windows 10: Start Safe Mode
- Safe Mode in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7