Has a battery with 6000 mAh actually really enough juice to charge a smart phone with 3000 mAh twice? How do I charge the smartphone and a power bank most efficient and fastest? How many degrees thus keeping a lithium-ion battery like? And like the (mobile phone) battery survives the longest? Such as lithium-ion batteries are best maintained and you charge the phone battery properly, you can read in the article.
Do you want to change your iPhone battery, you can do this with an alternating set of GIGA Fixoo. What can you do against overheating of the mobile device, you read in our article mobile is hot: So you protect your phone from overheating.
In the video: More tips for increasing your battery life
288885Battery consumed quickly? These tips will help
- 1 Lithium-ion battery: So you load them properly - whether mobile phone, smartphone or external battery
- 1.1 Lithium-ion battery and nickel-metal hydride batteries: What's what?
- 1.2 Lithium-ion batteries have no memory effect more
- 1.3 Lithium-ion batteries: The correct loading and unloading of mobile phone and other batteries
- 1.4 Conditioning and calibration, charging voltage, charging rate
- 1.5 Life expectancy of lithium-ion batteries
- 1.6 temperature
- 2 Information on capacity and amps
- 3 How to cheat manufacturer of external battery with the mAh
- 4 So charging the battery and smart phones works quickly and effectively
Lithium-ion battery: So you load them properly - whether mobile phone, smartphone or external battery
Lithium-ion battery and nickel-metal hydride batteries: What's what?
- A basic distinction between currently two main-types of batteries: Nickel Metal Hydride and Lithium-ion batteries.
- One or the other might still remembers the Nickel-cadmium storage technology, but which is rarely used today &# 8211; now it is banned in the EU, to bring them into circulation.
- The former are, especially in the mobile space, used less and less. In the supermarket in the battery bay to find them but more often.
- Since their energy density is, however, far behind modern lithium-based models, they are rare.
- Moreover, they discharge themselves much more slowly than older battery technologies.
- Lithium-ion batteries come to an energy density of 250 to 700 watts-hour per liter or more &# 8211; NiMH batteries provide only 140 to 300 bar.
- Lithium-ion batteries are increasingly used because of this advantage, for example in mobile phones, smart phones, tablets and laptops.
- Of the Lithium polymer battery is a subgenus of the lithium-ion-based battery. We restrict ourselves in the article but to the general description of lithium batteries.
Lithium-ion batteries have no memory effect more
There is in this area again and again the discussion whether modern batteries still have a memory effect. Lithium-ion batteries it is theoretically available, but there is a different technology behind it than for example with nickel batteries. The memory effect is there so small that it can be ignored. But there are still some things that you should generally consider whether external or smartphone battery.
iPhone batteries GIGA Fixxoo*
- The myth of the memory effect is due to the outdated nickel-cadmium batteries, which had its such an effect indeed.
- Nickel-metal hydride batteries had to contend with a similar effect in which the voltage across the entire unloading process of time remained below target.
- Remark: Also, lithium-ion batteries are getting better. Most precautions that you had to meet with nickel-based batteries, no longer apply here. Recommendations for the first generation of lithium-ion batteries have lost their urgency. Nevertheless, also applies to the latest versions: Proper care can extend the life significantly increase &# 8211; as well as the battery life.
At the beginning of the article we tell you more simple, common things, how to load the battery correctly, whether for smartphone, mobile phone or as an external battery. Many modern electronic devices are now using the new battery technology. Later in the article it is then a bit more complex: it involves charging ports, amps, volts, watts, and the promise of battery manufacturers. If you have questions, it is like in the comments.Modern lithium-based batteries have no memory effect more.
Lithium-ion batteries: The correct loading and unloading of mobile phone and other batteries
- It will do the batteries not good to always be fully discharged. Deep discharge can damage the battery.
- Almost all lithium-ion batteries and batteries, however, are a Protection against deep discharge equipped, can the battery so difficult fortunately destroy or inflict serious damage, but still you can avoid it, use the battery pack always up to this protection, which can in fact shorten the life &# 8211; though not particularly strong.
- Between 20 and 80 percent should be "cyclen" the battery (ie approximately in this range hold), then it stops by the longest.
- Flat charge cycles for mobile phone and other rechargeable batteries recommended (not always completely empty and completely full recharge).
- A charge cycle is either a complete discharge followed by full-charging.
- But even when the battery discharges 20 times to five percent and then reloads five percent again, a total of only one charge cycle &# 8220; consuming&# 8221 ;.
Conditioning and calibration, charging voltage, charging rate
condition or calibrate a new cell phone battery once you have to? There are many myths floating around the Internet. are correct it but very few.
- It is not necessary to corresponds a lithium-ion battery several times and fully recharge, to exploit to its full capacity. This myth also comes still from older battery technology.
- is loaded really fast, a lithium-ion battery only to about 80 percent, after which the rate increases significantly.
- This is because initially the same amperage (for example, 2 A) is charged with increasing voltage, then no voltage rise is more, the current is loaded with the decreases slowly.
- The final charge voltage is usually at 4 to 4.2 volts (more on that later in this article).
- If the charging current below a certain level, the battery is full, the charging circuitry turns off. Only when the battery has fallen below a certain value, the smart phone is again loaded to its maximum capacity. So a permanent store ensures even sure that the battery life is reduced slowly but steadily since lithium-ion battery only a limited number of charge cycles &# 8220; join&# 8221 ;.
- Lithium-ion batteries do not need to be calibrated &# 8211; the battery charge indicator of a smartphone is more closely, however, about the time when the charging electronics better &# 8220; estimate&# 8221; can how much energy the memory contains. To accelerate this adjustment can be mobile of course corresponds and then fully recharged (up to 20 or 30 percent). Necessary is not, however.
Life expectancy of lithium-ion batteries
- Even modern batteries lose over time of performance, which is a normal process.
- The general rule: Batteries want to be used regularly, otherwise they may lose capacity faster. Batteries that are somewhere in the basement are left and used again after years, can sometimes have suffered greatly.
- But of course, excessive use reduces life expectancy, lithium-ion batteries survive but &# 8220; only&# 8221; 400 to 1200 charge cycles.
- If one takes care of him properly and uses, can significantly increase life expectancy &# 8211; still applies: Li-Ion batteries are &# 8220; perishable&# 8221; Products.
- Much longer than five years a modern lithium-ion battery will not hold out with constant use.
- first-generation lithium-ion batteries are not much longer than 2-3 years. But they are currently rarely used.
- The battery life is specified by manufacturers charging cycles. If you your smartphone or an external battery charges up to 10 percent, is still not a complete charge cycle takes place only when one has discharged a total of 100% and loaded.
- To what percentage happens to you, is the battery relatively unimportant (not too high but just at best and too low).
- By the way: You do not take out of your laptop battery when connected to the power supply mains. In this case, the battery is charged to 100 percent &# 8211; and done. The flood which the notebook needed at this time, it also receives from the power supply, the battery is inactive at this time.
- But: Excessive heat damages the batteries on the other side. If you want to use his model so as long as possible, it can be useful, so anyway to remove it from the laptop.
See High-quality charging cable anchor on Amazon*
- Should the battery be stored, it is recommended to bring the battery for this purpose to 40-60% charge and store at 0-15 degrees.
- For use &# 8220; like&# 8221; the batteries prefer 18-25 degrees.
- About 40 degrees is a risk that the battery is broken.
- Again, these measures are especially relevant for lithium-ion batteries in the first generation, but also newer versions benefit from it.
- If ye today for example, an external battery or a modern smartphone At length, almost always modern versions are installed.
Now you should most important advice about battery maintenance and &Load cell phone batteries properly; # 8220&# 8221; know. But of course we want to charge the batteries not only as good as possible, but also fast.Start Photogallery(11 images)External USB Batteries: Current bestsellers for iPhone 7, Galaxy S7 and Co. at a glance
Information on capacity and amps
Lithium-ion batteries or rechargeable batteries are very popular because they have a high energy density and low weight offer (high and low, of course, relative). In the form of Power Banks they can be connected via USB to a smartphone. In the normal case, this can (almost) charge all smartphones available on the market. However, there are some things that you should consider for a good charging result:
- If you have an external battery with 6000 mAh and a smartphone with 3000 mAh that does not mean you can charge twice the smartphone as well.
- is really arrive at the smartphone much less charge (more on this below).
See Anchor Power Bank on Amazon*Modern Power Banks hardly cost money, but offer a good performance and high compatibility.*
Loss due to power consumption of the smartphone
- The loss depends on the one hand, whether the phone is used or not.
- When using his smartphone during charging, the percentage indication of course does not rise as much.
- but that is in the sense no charge loss, but the normal power consumption of the smartphone.
What actually mean the amp?
In smartphone battery and external battery is always amps, milliamps and mah talk. But what does that mean anyway? Let's think. Once again back to our school days and physics lessons
- Ampere is the current.
- In Smartphones and external batteries, it is common that they are charged with a current of 0.5 A -2.
- Current smartphones invite usually with one A, modern with already 2 A or more. Especially older phones are even less charged nor with 0.5A or in part.
- In Qualcomm's Quick Charge technology especially the charging voltage is raised.
- however, one ampere hour refers to the amount of current that flows through a conduit &# 8211; (Within one hour Amperehour) and at a current intensity of 1 A.
What actually mean ampere hours?
- The term Ah yes you know from your smartphone. With this, the capacity of the battery is indicated.
- Actually, that's not entirely true, since one mAh can not be equated with the power capacity. Mah indicate the nominal charge.
- A Ah is the amount of charge that can flow through a conduit having 1 A within one hour.
- When a battery 3000 mAh (= 3 Ah), this has therefore corresponds to the amount of charge that flows in three hours through a conduit having 1 A.
- So while Ampere describes the current, Ah describes a certain amount of charge.
- The power capacity is, however, stated in watts. More on this below.
What actually mean volts and watts?
- Volt is the electric voltage.
- (That is, a certain amount of charge) Ah times volts (i.e. the voltage) give watt-hours. (1000 mAh = 1 Ah.)
- Watt hours the unit, that should have been used, when it comes to indicate the power capacity of a battery.
- but most manufacturers do not consciously it.
- How ampere hours not describe watt hours a lot, but in this case the nominalcharge, but the actual powercapacity.
- Although it is sufficient for normal users from knowing the mAh of the battery, in order to assess the charge capacity, but if you want to load a smart phone with an external battery, the distinction is suddenly important.
- This is because working here with different voltages and the manufacturer likes to conceal, to make the mAh appear larger.
How to cheat manufacturer of external battery with the mAh
Battery manufacturers cheat like something to let the battery seem bigger here. This leads naturally to the fact that among customers false expectations are raised that can not be met. The problem is that not automatically mAh mAh are in an external battery in a smartphone.
- As I said, the smartphone also consumes during charging current, So here a bit lost.
- And the charging process itself is not 100 percent effective. Here is also lost power &# 8211; by heat transfer. (You know determines that the smartphone loading warms the phenomenon.)
- That fact alone, it is physically not possible with a 6000 mAh battery (Power Bank) to fully charge a smartphone with 3000 mAh battery twice. But it goes further.
- Let's say that an external battery 6000 mAh (6 Ah) has. They usually work with a voltage of 3.7 V. amp hours times volts result in a power capacity of 22.20 Wh.
The problem with USB devices and 5V voltage
- USB devices such as smart phones but are loaded with 5V.
- The watt-hours remain the same, but the rated power, so the mAh, decrease.
- For our battery or 4440 mAh remained in this case: 22.20 Wh / 5 V = 4.44 Ah.
- Loss of energy to come through heat generation and security mechanisms in the battery, which should prevent a complete discharge.
- For this you can again deduct 20 percent and we remain at around 3500 mAh.
- A mobile phone with 3000 mAh you will so can charge a little more than once.
- Sounds pretty bad, but the physics you can not outsmart unfortunately.
- As memory aid and estimation can you the mAh information in a smartphone future multiplied to calculate a realistic nominal output So with 0.6 (60 percent). Example: 6000 mAh * 0.6 = 3,600 mAh.
- The remaining 40 percent of energy is by the way not completely heat generation and conversion processes lost. Lithium-ion batteries have a higher voltage than in a discharged in fully charged condition. The final charge voltage is (100 percent battery) at up to 4.3 volts, the rated voltage of usually 3.6 or 3.7 volts, the Entladeschlusspannung at around 2.5 volts (battery 0 percent).
- The battery manufacturers Znex * management has presented to:
The capacity of a battery can identify in mAh or in watt-hours. A power pack with 5000 mAh has 18.5 watt hours. (5000 x 3.7 (V)). Now, if you charge a device via USB, the capacity drops; but the watt hours remain the same.
A battery with 5000mAh therefore automatically loses its capacity when you charge so via USB 5V another device. Of this net capacity, you have to subtract another 15% that are lost during conversion process by heat and / or high charging currents (for example, when creating an iPad). Now, when you realize that in every powerpack of us still remain around 5% remaining charge as a safety cushion in the device, then you have in our sample calculation a real capacity of just 3000mAh yet available. This is enough to so charge a smartphone with 1500mAh almost twice.
On the subject: USB port: Colors & Plug - meaning and explanation
So charging the battery and smart phones works quickly and effectively
The external battery pack should always be greater to charge a smartphone than the battery of the smartphone itself, so that the former will not be discharged, which can damage it. While most external batteries have a protective mechanism, however, you can increase the life if you do not always completely drained the lithium-ion battery.
Nevertheless, you should use this not always as batteries last longer if they are not discharged too deep. When external batteries have a higher amperage in the input or output, it means that they can be loaded theoretically faster or even charge your smartphone faster (here it goes from 0, up to x 2, x A). Why this is so, we have just learned so, Ampere describe the current level at more current the more current can flow through the line.
By the way: It does not hurt a smartphone if you connect a power supply with 2 A at it, but it can only load with 1 A. The charging circuitry automatically limits the current to the value that the smartphone requires. The other way around, this is not so: A smartphone that wants to draw 2 amps can flood a charger having 1 A, when this does not have a protection mechanism.
load fast - Conditions
In theory, but because the loaded device must support this .. Most current smartphones support 1 A. In general, the difference between a smartphone between USB charging and the &# 8220; right store&# 8221; (AC charging via Charging port), which is faster (official 0.5 to 1.5 A).
Load on the PC
Closes it to the external device for charging to the PC, is a maximum of 0.5 and 0.9 A loaded (USB-loading, which is the limitation of USB 2.0 or USB 3.0). More power can be a &# 8220; normal&# 8221; USB port does not provide, even if an external battery or an improperly Interconnected AC adapter is connected to the smartphone, it may happen that the two devices do not properly &# 8220; understand&# 8221; and is loaded with 0.5 A.
If you have a charger with Micro-USB port and therefore invites smartphone, it should recognize the charger as a battery charger in the ideal case, and with the &# 8220; AC charging&# 8221; can start and load with more than 0.5A.
Only when the AC adapter or the external battery is not properly connected, this does not work. However, all devices now on the market to support faster loading normally and be recognized as a charging port.Good USB cable must now no longer be ugly.*
See Volutz-charging and data cable on Amazon*
Load the mains
If you connect the device to a USB power plug adapter to, you have to see support on the performance of the adapter. For many this is 1A, you will be able to charge the external battery so no faster than 1 Amp.
here Noname adapters have problems (as described above). With USB power plug adapters so it is always advisable to take branded goods by the producers themselves or ensure the product itself that the specifications are complied with. There is still the true 1A offer theoretically power plug adapter, to arrive but the smartphone is only 0.5 A, since they are connected wrong and a USB charger is detected (as if you would connect it to the PC).
In the worst case cost adapters can even damage the smartphone: iPhone 5: Unofficial chargers can destroy the chip.
Charge with external battery
Modern external batteries are usually so compatible that they can charge a smartphone with 1 A or 2A. When loading the smartphone with the external battery, it can sometimes happen that the battery is recognized as a USB charger. In this case, is only charged with 0.5A. At current external batteries, however, this should not be the case. Ultimately, it can tell this by how long it takes your smartphone to load. Modern smartphones with quick-charge technology are loaded in a few hours.
Here you can not just replace a power plug. But you have the opportunity to buy a special USB charging cable, which have no data line (you can order the smartphone Not connect to the PC and copy files), but can it supply the smartphone with 1 A to load faster. This is by car charger cables * the case. Special fast-charging cable * without a data line and guarantee the charging rate of 1 A or more.
In principle, the device to landing one outwits here, as you suggested to him with a quick charger, that a charging port without data line is present (the connections for the data lines in the cable shorted).Not only by Power Bank, also by solar charger, USB devices can be charged today.
See Anchor solar charger on Amazon*
How do I know how fast the smartphone is loaded?
Just to make sure the smartphone but should also indicate that it is charged via AC or USB:
Meanwhile, there are also special instruments for USB to verify the transmitted current and voltage.
For iPhones, there is currently no way to verify if the smartphone is optimally loaded. Here only the purchase of original Apple-certified chargers and accessories from third-party help. This will always work well.
However, you can also buy special measuring instruments *, To check how much juice is actually going through the line. This is already happening in under ten euros, a really good device currently costs 35 euros.
There are now smartphones that support charging with 2A. Only here, an external battery is really worth that provides the exit 2A. Even in the use I have the devices EasyAcc that allow no problems AC charging.
View voltage and current meter on Amazon*
RELATED LINKS external batteries and battery life:
- Wakelocks &# 8211; Battery consumption with no cell phone use on Android
- AC and DC Current: What is it?
- extend battery life, remove battery eater
- Android OS consumes too much battery? This can you change
- Google Play services consumes too much battery? This can you do
- USB speed at a glance
- Is USB 3 compatible to USB 2?
- USB chargers in the test
- Charging Lithium-ion
- Lithium-ion battery
- Lithium polymer battery
- ampere hour
- Watt hour
- Errors in the battery care
- Proper battery maintenance
- Again proper battery maintenance
- Information on lithium-ion batteries from Apple
- Battery Saving on iPhone
- Battery life extension iPod
- Battery care for iPod and iPhone
- Battery care Macbook
- recommendations iAnker
Picture sources: Rechargeable cellphone battery. Isolated on white background, Dead discharged battery cartoon humorous hand-drawn illustration of Shutterstock