The term peer-to-peer is probably ever met anyone, especially in connection with file sharing platforms. What Peer to Peer (P2P) means exactly, we explain in this article.
Many probably know that Peer to Peer has anything to do with a network and have heard in connection with film and music downloads. We supply you following information on the so-called P2P downloads with examples and explain what is going on with the peer-to-peer networks in coming.
View Samsung Galaxy S7 Amazon*
For illustration shows up in the following product video of Resilio Sync (BitTorrent Sync) the benefits of peer-to-peer data synchronization.
7454Introduction To BitTorrent Sync
What is peer-to-peer?
First we would like you with a simple Peer-to-peer Definition help: The term peer is in English &Coequal; # 8220&# 8221; or &Mate; # 8220&# 8221 ;. It is geared to an equivalence of partners. Transferred to the IT sector is communication between equal computers. It may be two or even very many computers. All computers can access both information and contribute. To a central server will be omitted here, but the information is stored in a decentralized distributed over the network.
Peer-to-peer Examples: software and networks at a glance
Peer-to-peer computing comes in a variety of Web applications for use. Five major areas of application are presented as examples.
- File sharingThe last but not least because of discussions about copyright infringements probably the best known example of peer-to-peer file sharing computing are platforms that are often used to exchange music and video files. At the most prominent peer-to-peer software includes BitTorrent, eMule, Kazaa, LimeWire or uTorrent. On these file sharing data is copied directly with each other without a central server. you can access the directory of participating computer and download of these files over these P2P client. Some file sharing systems are not pure peer-to-peer networks, as they involve a central directory server. This makes the system more user friendly, but also less anonymous. Private P2P networks can be established, for example, with GigaTribe.1852Giga BitTorrent Video Overview
But beware: Depending on which are shared videos, music or programs, users of peer-to-peer clients can quickly slip into illegality. divided, files that are copyrighted and provided with a copy, is not only the danger of criminal acts, but you can also invite you undetected spyware on your computer.
- Instant messaging: Even great instant messenger and VoIP services rely on peer-to-peer. The most famous example is Skype here. Information about currently logged in to Skype users will not be centrally managed by a server, but via supernodes, nodes in the group consisting of Skype users peer-to-peer network.
- Collaboration / GroupwareThe extended version of instant messaging and VoIP are collaboration platforms. This also often operate according to the peer-to-peer principle. Also platforms for webinars as Adobe Connect work this way.
- Distributed computing: When it comes to perform complex calculations, will not operate a server in the rule. Instead, the operation is broken down into sub-tasks, the calculation of which is transferred to a network end systems that are currently underutilized. Application fields are found for example in scientific research in the analysis of large data sets.
- Email encryptionNot counting this in the strict sense are peer-to-peer encryption. Here, two computers are connected to each other and equivalent, for example, the e-mail traffic through programs like PGP or secure file sharing over Sendoid.
- Peer-to-peer lendingThe English word lending stands for lending or lending. Peer-to-peer lending means that loans between private individuals or businesses are taught online. Since the processing is done entirely on the Internet, less overhead than the traditional way of financial institutions emerge. The so-called crowd Lending more money amounts are combined into one loan and transmits the selected of them lenders. Other forms of peer-to-peer loans (loans) are, for example, student loans and small loans.
Buy NAS server on Amazon*
Embed from Getty Images
Peer-to-Peer vs. Client-server technology
In contrast to the peer-to-peer concept, the client-server system is. Here tasks in the network from a client (service user) can be requested and a server (service) in the form of a program done this. Thus, the server provides the client at his service. The tasks, which are called services include, for example, the mail delivery or the Internet access. It can be also a computer on the network server and client.
View Raspberry Pi 3 at Amazon*
Conclusion: Peer-to-peer technology
Peer-to-peer networks have many advantages, but also disadvantages. They are very resistant to censorship and interference, as can be compensated, especially in large networks, the failure of a connected end system when data is stored redundantly. Of course this can also be seen as a disadvantage if illegal content is distributed in this way. Along with data encryption and user anonymity persecution on P2P networks is difficult. Another advantage of networks: the individual user is through access to the network a huge computing and storage performance. Dark side: the management of data in participating machines may require a relatively large effort. Despite all the problems: in times of big data and global communications peer-to-peer applications are an essential part of the online world.
Posted In: software