You want to disable your onboard graphics card, since it is too weak and you have installed it a new graphics card or you possess an AMD APU and want to switch between the dedicated (or discrete) graphics card and the integrated back and? Normally, this is not that hard: In this guide, we show you what options you have for it and how it works.
video | 8 Tips for graphics card purchase229171Fast and Easy: 8 facts about graphics cards shopping
disable onboard graphics card - often not necessary
In current computers, you must not disable the onboard graphics card. In most cases, it's enough if you the Graphics card installs, the monitor with the combines outputs of the new card and the accompanying drivers installed. Most motherboard should then oh no longer rely on the onboard graphics card.
Of course there are also the exception to the rule. If your PC after installing a dedicated graphics card is no longer running around or perform the games far below expectation, this may be due to the integrated graphics solution. In this case, you should disable the onboard graphics card, to prevent further problems and be able to use your new card in full.Start Photogallery(10 images)Which motherboard I have? find out the motherboard!
, deactivate onboard graphics in Device Manager
In such a case, usually comes with the Windows Device Manager to the desired result:
- Click the bottom left of the Windows icon, then click Control Panel.
- Selects the System and Security category, and then under the menu item System Device Manager.
- (Alternative) Windows + R-button and in the Run Field devmgmt.msc Enter, and then click OK.
- Now click on the entry graphics card and then right-click your onboard graphics card.
- Decide for the Disable option and confirmed.
disable onboard graphics card in the BIOS
If you can not disable the Windows Device Manager the onboard graphics card, you can do this alternatively directly in the BIOS. Thinks that, hereby, all other operating systems can not access the graphics card. If you use, for example, a Linux distribution that uses the onboard graphics card, you have the GPU then switched on as required and off.
- Restarts the PC and give when booting the displayed key or key combination.Under Windows 10 & 8.1 you have often not the possibility to enter the BIOS through the usual key combination. As you reach the UEFI BIOS directly by restarting from Windows, we will tell you the following article: Windows 10: Start UEFI BIOS and change settings &# 8211; so goes&# 8217; s.
- Often it is the "Del" - or the "F2" key.
- There are various BIOS versions. Typically, the relevant entry you onboard VGA or on-chip VGA is.
- Selects the appropriate entry and switches the old graphics module with the plus button to disable.
- Now you just need to save and restart your PC settings. The old card should no longer be switched on.
AMD APU with graphics umschaltbarere
Anyone who owns a laptop or computer with AMD APU and dedicated graphics card manufacturer usually has three configurations available: to use the composite (Crossfire and Dual Graphics) Only the APU graphics chip, only the dedicated graphics card, or both.
By default, most 3D applications run with two graphics cards, but can not in every game result in a performance increase, but in some cases even in a performance hit, micro stuttering or other problems. In this case it recommends to issue the graphics chip of the APU. On the other hand you can disable the dedicated graphics card, so for example, to conserve power, especially for older or less demanding games. How this works, we will tell you here:
- Make your way through the AMD icon in the taskbar and right-click.
- Click the emerging menu now on Switchable Graphics.
- Here you should now be able to adjust for all known applications which graphics card (s) can be used.
- The following graphic card configuration is hidden behind the graphics settings:
- High performance: Only the dedicated graphics card
- Power saving mode: Only the APU graphics chip
- Unallocated: By default, often dual graphics mode
If you want to activate Dual Graphics in general (de), you will also find in the AMD VISION Engine Control Center under the menu item performance the appropriate settings.
On the subject
- installing graphics card - a few steps to the new look
- download graphics card driver free
- call BIOS - so you go
Source: Iaroslav Neliubov via Shutterstock