You want to install Windows 7 but have the problem that you present your hard drive can not use because it contains one or more GPT partitions? The problem can be solved fortunately quite simple.
Video: Windows 10 Troubleshooter1684886Windows 10 Troubleshooting
The term GPT partition should meet you more often in the future. Since the introduction of UEFI BIOS standard PCs increasingly have called GBT partitions. This refers to a format for the partition tables of hard disks in Windows. It sounds complicated &# 8211; ultimately, it is but just about how Windows manages the free space on the hard drive and assigns. Here you experience offers the benefits of GPT and what you can do if an installation on a GPT partition is not possible.
On the subject:
- UEFI and BIOS &# 8211; These are the main differences
- BIOS beeps Meaning of error messages and solution
Create GPT partition: What is it and what are the benefits?
The abbreviation stands for GPT GUID Partition Table, So GUID partition table. GUID turn stands for globally unique identifier, that is globally unique identifiers. This refers to a format managed by the Windows memory on the hard drive. GPT is the successor to the older MBR partition tables (Master Boot Record) and a technical specification of the new UEFI BIOS. Here again a reference to the terms and GPT MRB: These have nothing to do with the formatting of hard disks and the terms NTFS and FAT32, but purely with partitioning, ie the allocation of storage space.
Compared to the format MBR GBT has several advantages:
- With the older format MBR can be set up only four partitions that can each be no larger than 2.2 GB on a hard drive.
- The more modern format GPT is not limited in the number of primary partitions &# 8211; up to the usual Windows-limited to 128 partitions. In practice, however, achieve such levels only in exceptional cases.
- Even with the size of the disk to GPT are much more generous. With the new standard are hard drives with a maximum size of 8 Zettabyte possible, so 8 billion terabytes - that should be enough in any case for the next generations.
- In addition, GPT increases data security.
combine GPT and MBR can not be on a hard drive: And another note &# 8211; so you have to choose one of the two formats you. but a transformation in the old MBR format is generally not a good idea due to the aforementioned restrictions. There is one exception: If a PC is no UEFI BIOS, Windows will not install on hard disks in GPT format, let alone boot (UEFI is the successor to the classic BIOS). Even if you have a 32-bit system, you can not use GPT. So here we have to resign ourselves that we can be using the drive only with the legacy MBR.Start Photogallery(11 images)Windows 10: The top 10 tuning tips and tricks
convert disk partitioning GPT to MBR
not fulfilled the PC the prerequisites, only the partitions in the MRB format helps. Here, it does the following:
- Backs up important data on the hard disk to another hard disk or a USB flash drive &# 8211; since all data is lost when conversion process.
- For this, the hard drive must be connected to a PC.
- Now go to the Disk Management for Windows.
- delete all partitions on the drive.
- select the drive, right click and select Convert to MBR formatting.
Now the Windows 7 installation should work. How do you secure the master boot record, we'll show you the way, in another article: MBR secure the hard drive and restore &# 8211; very easily.After conversion of partitioning the Windows 7 installation should be no problem.
Booting the Installation CD on UEFI
PC brings the necessary conditions with and has a UEFI BIOS, but still makes the installation problems you can solve this in the following way:
- Opens when your PC starts, the BIOS or boot menu.
- If you do not know how to do this, look at this article to: How do I get into the BIOS - Windows XP, Vista, 7
- Here should you can select the type of drive when starting the PC is first started.
- Selected here, the drive that contains the Windows installation CD.
- The drive should be present twice: one &# 8220; normal&# 8221; Version and a version with the addition &# 8220; UEFI&# 8221 ;.
- Selects the second version.
- This should be at the top of the list, that is, from this must be booted first.
Now the Windows installation should be possible. If you still get the error that Windows can not be installed on the disk, is looking for here.
- Windows 8 BIOS (UEFI): So you come into the firmware setup
- Windows 8 BIOS: So you get into the UEFI firmware setup
- Secure Boot switch off: disable the UEFI security feature in the BIOS
- change the BIOS battery and set the BIOS again
- repair the master boot record - so it is possible!