If you want to upgrade your PC with memory and expand, you have to consider some things. We show how you find out what should my RAM in your PC, which details and terms such as DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, mean PC3-12800 and Kit and how it incorporates the new memory in the PC.Upgrading Memory: This one is filled by four RAM slots. Source: Shutterstock &# 8211; thanmano
Source: Shutterstock &# 8211; thanmano
Buy 16 GB DDR3 RAM from Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, CL10, Kit (2x 8GB)*
Operating systems like Windows use memory - also called RAM - to swap data in the fact that they often need. Since RAM is extremely fast compared to other types of memory, this information is immediately retrievable. That is the reason why Windows and programs run faster on PCs with more memory. By comparison, a SSD with SATA III connection technology transfers a maximum of 0.6 GB per second, DDR3 memory provides as up to 34 GB per second - or about 57 times as fast. More information about and how much RAM you need, is available here: What is RAM? And why is it so important?
If you want new memory (RAM) buy, there are some things to consider. Because not every RAM module can be installed on your PC motherboard. Known manufacturer of memory are Corsair, Crucial, HyperX and Kingston. To find out how much RAM you need, you look over here: How much memory you need? - So much.
- 1 expand and installing RAM - Which memory fits into the PC?
- 2 Upgrading RAM: Difference between DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4
- 3 Buy RAM: MHz specified for the clock as 1600 or 1866
- 4 Upgrading Memory: Module name as PC3-12800 or PC3-14900
- 5 expand RAM: importance of timing as CL9 and CL8-8-8-24
- 6 random access memory & RAM: Kit or no kit, dual or single channel?
- 7 Install memory - Here&# 8217; s
expand and installing RAM - Which memory fits into the PC?On this motherboard, all four RAM slots are already occupied.
If you want to expand your PC with more RAM, you must first find out if you even still have availability in your PC. Thus screwed onto your housing and looking on the mainboard by two or more elongated slots in the vicinity of the CPU. If there are not all occupied, you can install more new memory. Otherwise, you have to replace them with more memory, the existing bolt with new ones. Alternatively, can you free records but also with the tool CPU-Z to see.Tip: If you configure your PC so that you can find on the website of the motherboard manufacturer or in the manual what memory do you need.
To find out which memory type needs your motherboard, do you do the following:
- Invite you the free tool CPU-Z, installs and starts it.
- Click on the tab Memory.
- In addition to the lettering size you see how much memory you have currently installed her.
- Take a screenshot or mark you the values for type, channel, DRAM Frequency and among the first four clocks values.
- Note: In the tab SPD, you can top left each RAM slots on the mainboard to go through and see if there are places available, if you will not screw the PC for it.
The values determine what RAM have to buy her:
- Type: The RAM type - DDR1, DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4.
- Channel: The memory mode - In general, single or dual, even triple or quad can be.
- DRAM Frequency: The memory clock of RAM - For the effective clock rate, you must double the value.
- Clocks values: the timing or latency of RAM - about 9-9-9-24.
If you want to buy now working should buy their RAM module at least the same values as those which from CPU-Z, otherwise the motherboard automatically reduces the power of memory to come to a common denominator. However, this would result in poor performance.
If you now looking at retailers like Amazon to memory, met her terms such as DDR3 RAM, 1600 MHz CL9 PC3-12800 and Kit. Behind it the values that you found her with CPU-Z hide. Here is the explanation:
Upgrading RAM: Difference between DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4DDR2 and DDR3 RAM: Different types of memory have different designs (see the position of the notch).
RAM is available in the categories DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4. The higher the number after the GDR, the more recent and faster the memory technology used. Older PCs often use DDR2 memory, while new systems use DDR3 or DDR4 already. It is important that each type of memory are not compatible with each other, as about the position of the notch is elsewhere and the number of contact points is different. DDR2 and DDR3 RAM for example, have 240 points of contact through DDR RAM is only 184. Therefore, does not fit any RAM module in each PC.
You should when buying so select the same type of memory, the CPU-Z has displayed for type.By the way: RAM modules, have the DIMM in the name are intended for notebooks; those without DIMM are designed for PCs.
Buy RAM: MHz specified for the clock as 1600 or 1866When memory-purchase their encounters terms such as 1600MHz, CL9 and DDR3.
Buy 16 GB DDR3 RAM from Crucial Ballistix Sport, 1600MHz, CL9, Kit (2x 8GB)*
RAM is operated with different clock rates, or more precisely the effective clock. The higher the effective clock, the faster the memory can operate at a maximum. For DDR3 RAM, the usual effective clock rates are: 800, 1066, 1333, 1600, 1866 and 2133 MHz. however, DDR2 memory clocked 400-1066 MHz. However, the following applies: A RAM module that supports 2133 MHz, need not necessarily work with the clock. This is also dependent on your motherboard and processor.
So you should be careful when buying, select a storage latch that at least supports the effective clock speed that displays CPU-Z in DRAM Frequency. but remember to double the value at DRAM Frequency before the comparison to obtain the relevant, effective clock rate.By the way: The chip name of memory consists of the memory type and its effective clock rate. So DDR3-1600 means a DDR3 memory with a clock speed of 1600 MHz.
Upgrading Memory: Module name as PC3-12800 or PC3-14900
The module name of the working memory based on the data rate of the memory. For example, a memory module has PC3-12800 DDR3 memory with a data rate of 25.6 GB / s. The number after PC3 is therefore simply doubled, to access the data rate in megabytes.
From DDR4 memory but no duplication occurs. A module called PC4-25600 is therefore DDR4 memory with a data rate of 25.6 GB / s.
The table below can you see what effective clock rates have the appropriate module name, where you can orient yourself when buying. The clock rate should be as described above at least as large as twice the value which the CPU-Z in DRAM Frequency indicates.
|Chip Name||module name||Clock rate effectively||data rate|
|DDR2-400||PC2-3200||400MHz||6.4 GB / s|
|DDR2-800||PC2-6400||800 MHz||12.8 GB / s|
|DDR3-1066||PC3-8500||1066 MHz||17.0 GB / s|
|DDR3-1333||PC3-10600||1333 MHz||21.2 GB / s|
|DDR3-1600||PC3-12800||1600 MHz||25.6 GB / s|
|DDR3-1866||PC3-14900||1866 MHz||29.8 GB / s|
|DDR3-2133||PC3-17000||2133 MHz||34.0 GB / s|
|DDR4-1600||PC4-12800||1600 MHz||12.8 GB / s|
|DDR4-2133||PC4-17000||2133 MHz||17.0 GB / s|
|DDR4-2666||PC4-21300||2666 MHz||21.3 GB / s|
|DDR4-3200||PC4-25600||2666 MHz||25.6 GB / s|
expand RAM: importance of timing as CL9 and CL8-8-8-24
The number sequences as CL8-8-8-24 or CL9 is called timing. The individual numbers say something about interval and latency of the memory. So you determine how fast the memory can respond to the requests of the processor. However, the timing can not be compared directly with one another, as well as the timing of the RAM latch is crucial for its speed.
Respects the memory department that the new bolt supports at least the timings indicating CPU-Z in the Clocks values.
random access memory & RAM: Kit or no kit, dual or single channel?To Dual Channel to leverage the two RAM module must be plugged into the same color slot. Source: HyperX
A memory kit consists of two or four identical RAM bars. This makes sense, since you can use it to take advantage of the dual channel mode that works as opposed to single channel double data rate. The memory slots on motherboards are color coded for in the rule and indicate where two identical memory bars must be used so that dual channel is enabled. If you use different bars, the BIOS denied the dual-channel operation under certain circumstances.
So if you want more you have on your motherboard two memory slots free and about to 8GB upgrade, you should buy a 4GB kit with 2 x.
Buy 8GB of DDR3 RAM HyperX, 1600MHz, CL9, Kit (2x 4GB)*
Install memory - Here&# 8217; sRAM in the motherboard: Front are the lever to see that secure the memory. Source: Shutterstock &# 8211; Oleg Van Bo
To install the new memory, you should consider the following:
- Created a precaution a backup of your system. In case of faulty RAM modules can cause Windows crashes.
- Turns the PC and separates it from the mains.
- Touches a heater or a water tap to get rid of possible electrostatic charge before RAM installation. This may cause damage to the RAM modules in contact.
- Checks the position of the notch of the RAM latch with the indentation on the mainboard, so that it incorporates this correctly.
- At the top and bottom of the RAM slots are usually small lever that must be opened only at the sides.
- then sets the memory-latch on the slots and presses it into light. You should hear a click and feel a snap. The previously unfolded lever of the memory slots should also close again.
The following video illustrates the individual points again:
More on the subject:
- 16 GB RAM - useful or not? Why do we need it?
- Memory test (XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8)
- RAM for MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac: RAM-election and installation
Posted In: software